Due to road construction activities in Narva some roads and sidewalks could be temporarily closed.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Hermann Castle is Narva’a most popular image. As a medieval stronghold originally established by the Danes in 1256, the wooden fortress was sold to the Livonian Order of the Teutonic Knights in 1346.
Both the castle and the city of Narva were destroyed during World War II, as the area was the scene of especially heavy fighting, with the battle for Narva in 1944 leading to thousands of casualties on both sides.