Sightseeing

 

photo

NARVA CASTLE
Narva Castle is the most interesting medieval building in Estonia and the main cultural sight of Narva. The castle now houses the Narva Museum exposition.

The Northern Yard on the territory of Narva Castle comes to life in summer time. It is Narva Museum’s interpretation of that part of the XVII century city, where the masters-craftsmen lived.

 

photo

NARVA BASTIONS

Urban defense structures were built in the XVII – XVIII centuries by an outstanding Swedish fortifier Eric Dahlberg.
Virtual promenade around Narva bastions: http://bastion.narva.ee

Access to the casemates is only permitted with a guided tour.

 

 

photo

RIVERSIDE PROMENAADE

The Promenade is worth seeing thanks to its different thematic objects:

The Swedish Terrace is a family recreation area with lion shaped attractions for children;

Dahlberg Stage in an open air area for performers

Square of the Sun features a sun-clock, a fountain, a small pool for children and an open air café.

photo

NARVA TOWN HALL
Built in Baroque style in the 17th century as ordered by the Swedish King Karl XI.

Nowadays a maquette of Old Narva is on display there.

photo

ART GALLERY
In one of the gallery halls the permanent exposition is displayed. It’s based on the works of art from Sergei and Glafira Lavretsovs’ Narva Museum collection, which merchant Lavretsov donated to the city of Narva. Among represented paintings there are works of Ivan Aivazovsky, Ivan Shishkin and other famous artists. The Art Gallery also exhibits Estonian and Western European artists’ works.

 

photo

THE ORTHODOX RESURRECTION OF THE CHRIST CATHEDRAL
This Orthodox church was built in Byzantine style in the late 19th century upon the project of the architect Pavel Alish. During the battles of 1944, when most of Narva was destroyed, the church miraculously survived and is still in use today.

 

photo

THE LUTHERAN CHURCH OF ALEXANDER
This still active Lutheran cathedral was built in the late 19th century and named in honour of the Russian Emperor Alexander II. After the WWII, the Church bell tower was totally destroyed and reconstructed only in 2008. Now there is a museum of church history.
http://eelk.ee/narva

photo

THE DARK GARDEN
This oldest park located on Victoria and Pax.

On Victoria bastion there is a monument in the shape of a cross that was erected to commemorate the battle of Narva during the Northern War in 1704 when Narva was stormed and captured by the Russian troops.

 

photo

THE ACADEMIC BUILDING OF NARVA COLLEGE OF TARTU UNIVERSITY

Its frontlet is a copy of the exchange house front, which used to be on that place and was destroyed during the Second World War. 

photo

SWEDISH LION
This monument celebrates Karl XII`s victory in the Narva battle of 1700 in the Great Northern War. The Monument was presented to Narva by the Swedish People, the lion being an exact copy of the monument in front of the Royal Palace in Stockholm. It was inaugurated in 2000 to celebrate the 300 year anniversary of the battle.

photo

PAUL KERES MONUMENT

The monument dedicated to a famous Estonian chess-player Paul Keres was erected in the square between Pushkin street and Peter square. The author of the monument is a well-known Estonian sculptor Aivar Simson.

 

KRENHOLM TEXTILE FACTORY

Built in 1857 by german cotton merchant Ludwig Knopp. Factory located on Kreenholm Island between the two terraces of Narva River. A compact complex of industrial architecture developed around the factory that included the factory, a hospital, workers' barracks, directors' houses, built in the English style using red brick. Over ten thousand people worked there, and it was the largest factory in the Russian Empire.

Guided tour to Krenholm Manufacture